Visit to the American Corner in Pécs

The Pécs branch of the American Corners in Hungary recently re opened following its move to the swanky new Zsolnay Cultural Quarter of the city.

I recently took a group of 9th grade students to see what it had to offer. Wewere knocked out by the reception we received and had a really interesting and enjoyable afternoon there.

The centre manager Zsuzsa Nagy had planned a special series of activities for the students to do in connection with studying in the US. They had to get into teams, research a college online, and then try and persuade a friend to go to ‘their’ college.
There were computers for them to use, and they could use an iPad to show pictures during their presentations. The one who played the part of the friend-in-two-minds got to lounge on a sofa reading a Kindle. The students really enjoyed it.
They also organised a quiz, gave the kids a present each, and not only showed them the library but also recommended certain titles and read out excerpts from them. I’m sure I’ll be back soon with other groups!