About me

I’m originally from the UK, but have been based in Hungary for, well, ages. I speak the language and everything.

I teach high-school students of English part-time at PTE Babits Mihály Gyakorló Gimnázium és SZKI in Pécs. Top school, great students.

I’m also a freelance teacher trainer for Oxford University Press. I do workshops, webinars and conference talks. I’ve worked with English teachers on three continents and have sweated by baggage reclaim carousels at a fine array of international airports.

I’m one of the tutors at the English Language Teachers Summer Seminar at Exeter College, Oxford, which brings together English teachers from all over the world for two weeks each year.

I’ve been teaching since 1992. Primary and secondary. I’m interested in motivation, classroom dynamics and creative teaching ideas. Sometimes – especially when I’m really tired – I just teach from the book.

I live in Pécs in the southwest of Hungary. It’s a great place to live. If you’re ever in Hungary, check it out. Nice city. Closed on Mondays.

I love cryptic crosswords, a nice cup of tea and napping on the sofa. I really need to get out more. The last two films I saw at the cinema were ‘Hunger Games’ (with my students) and ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks 3’ (ages ago, with my daughters.) See?

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Pécs – open 7 days a week 🙂