Estonia (OUP)

Sides from my talks in Estonia are available below in pdf format.

Culture in the English classroom: what are we talking about?
In this talk I will examine some of the assumptions that are made when dealing with culture in the English lesson. I will consider some of the different ways in which a given topic can be presented as an example of culture, and will think about the different perspectives involved. I will suggest potential cultural topics of interest, and will also consider some best practice principles for managing lessons and handling classroom interactions when dealing with culture.

From topic to task: designing activities using culture in the language classroom
In this talk I will provide guidelines, suggestions and practical ideas for teachers who are looking to exploit the cultural content of their coursebook, with special attention paid to how the topics we are going to teach can be introduced and extended. I will also be suggesting ways that we can bring other topics of cutural interest into the classroom and demonstrating some practical ways of creating appropriate and engaging language-learning tasks ourselves.